My Aged Care About My Aged Care support

The Australian Government provides funding for services to help senior Australians maintain independence through My Aged Care supports. These supports are built around individual needs, to give each person more choice and control over the service they receive.

Guide Dogs Victoria has a number of government-subsidised programs you can access through My Aged Care Home Care Packages.

Home Care Packages are designed to keep you living at home the way you want to, even as you experience a change or loss of vision.

Man with guide dog at park

My Aged Care What kind of services are provided under a Home Care Package?

Services that can be provided under Home Care packages include, but are not limited to:

  • Support services: such as skills for washing and ironing, house cleaning, gardening, basic home maintenance, home modifications related to your care needs, and transport to help you with shopping, visit your doctor or attend social activities.
  • Personal care: such as showering or bathing, dressing and mobility.
  • Nursing, allied health and other clinical services: hearing services and vision services.
  • Care coordination and case management.

Guide Dogs Victoria can register you for My Aged Care and develop individually tailored support programs, including:

  • Manage daily activities you might be finding more difficult with Occupational Therapists
  • Learn how to get out and about safely and independently if your vision is decreasing, with Mobility Therapists
  • Continue to read printed items or use your computer with Technology Specialists
  • Stay connected with your community through our Peer Support Groups.

You can find out more about My Aged Care and how it can support you by visiting or calling the My Aged Care Contact Centre on 1800 200 422.

Two men at train station

My Aged Care Apply for My Aged Care funding

There are four steps in the application process.

  1. Register

    Visit or call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 and ask to register. Or you can contact the Guide Dogs Victoria team on 1800 804 805, for guidance and help registering.

  2. Follow-up

    A team member from My Aged Care will contact you to discuss your specific needs. Guide Dogs Victoria staff can join you on the call for support during this conversation.

    Depending on your needs, you will be referred to a Regional Assessment Service or Aged Care Assessment Team. If your needs are urgent, you may be referred directly to a service provider.

  3. Assessment

    The person assessing your needs will arrange a suitable time to come to your preferred location — such as your home — to do a face-to-face assessment, and discuss and agree your My Aged Care Support Plan.

    Your Support Plan will help you identify your strengths and your areas of difficulty, your goals and what you would like to achieve. A plan will enable you and the assessor to identify the types of support that will best suit you as you work towards achieving your goals.

    You can choose Guide Dogs Victoria as part of your My Aged Care Support Plan for all your low vision or blindness needs. Any of our services can be included by simply asking your assessor to add them to your plan.

  4. Get the support you need!

    You will now have subsidised access to a range of support services.