My Aged Care
About My Aged Care support
The Australian Government provides funding for services to help Australians aged 65 stay living at home independently and access their local community. These are called My Aged Care supports. Everyone’s needs are different and My Aged care supports are built around individual needs, to give each person more choice and control over the service they receive.
If you are over 65 and experiencing challenges to stay independent because of low vision or blindness, then Guide Dogs Victoria can help you check your eligibility and assist with registering for My Aged Care and help you understand the assessment process.
Guide Dogs Victoria is a registered provider with My Aged Care. We are registered to provide Specialised Support Services for a person with low vision or blindness. This service can be delivered by an Occupational Therapist, Orientation and Mobility Specialist and / or an Orthoptist.
You may have heard of funding described as either a Commonwealth Home Support package (CHSP), or a Home Care Package (HCP). Guide Dogs is approved to provide Specialised Support Services – Vision services within both packages.
Three great reasons to register with My Aged Care and receive services from GDV:
1) Accessing MY Aged Care may entitle you to a larger range of subsidised supports than you may be able to access otherwise.
2) For every client that uses the funding they are eligible for, GDV can help other clients who are unable to get funding. This can make a huge difference to many people’s lives.
3) Under My Aged Care providers are entitled to ask for a co-contribution that clients have to pay out of their own pocket. It is our explicit policy not to ask for this co-contribution from clients.
- If you have a CHSP you will not be charged a co-contribution for any of our services.
- If you have a HCP your package provider may charge a co-contribution but we will not.