Building independence is a vital part of growing up. On this junior camp, students will have the opportunity to participate in a range of fun activities that will build their experience and skills to increase their ability to travel and complete activities of daily living more independently.
This program will look at the following skills to increase independence:
- Technical skills and strategies – travel (O&M) and daily living tasks (Occupational Therapy)
- Assessing risk
- Decision making about personal safety
- Problem solving
- Safely negotiating complex situations and environments
- Self-advocacy – asking appropriate people for assistance/information
- Public transport use to activities (where possible)
Orientation & Mobility Specialists and an Occupational Therapist from CMS will staff this program.
This program has been made possible due to the contributions of the Shine On Foundation.
· The program will be delivered at no direct cost to our client. Where possible we will access fee for service funding (NDIS) to support the program and Guide Dogs Victoria will cover all additional costs.
· NDIS – For students with an NDIS plan the estimated cost is $845. NDIS funding covers the service delivery of O&M and OT skills during the program and does not cover meals, accommodation or overnight costs.
· Students will require a travel pass or Myki card with $15 credit for travel during the program.
A brief report will be provided to families regarding the program outcomes and student achievement. Families will also be invited to provide feedback via an anonymous survey.
This three day program will begin Monday 2 July 2018 at 10am and conclude on Wednesday 4 July at 2pm and is based on site at Guide Dogs Victoria in Kew. If we have more applications than places available on the closing date, 12 students will be selected. This selection process will take into consideration the number of programs previously attended and the appropriateness of this program to the student’s age and O&M goals.
For an application package please contact Customer Service ASAP on 1800 804 805.
*** To be considered for this mobility program, completed application packages (all paperwork, including medical forms) must be received by Friday 1 June 2018 ***