Our commitment to leading standards Consumer Advisory Council
The Consumer Advisory Council of Guide Dogs Victoria plays an important role in facilitating the exchange of information and ideas between Guide Dogs Victoria, the Board and most importantly, the people with low vision who use our services. The Consumer Advisory council:
- Provides advice and recommendations concerning the training of people with low vision and the relationship between Guide Dogs Victoria and the people using our services
- Acts as a consultative forum in identifying needs and priorities in service delivery
- Encourages participation and inclusion by stakeholders in our quality service planning
- Encourages the community to contribute to the consultative process
- Strives to make services responsive to individuals’ needs
- Acts as a sounding board for various policy and service proposals
- Provides our successful service applicants with support, encouragement and insight into the use of Guide Dogs Victoria services
- Reviews Guide Dogs Victoria facilities and communication practices with regard to accessibility by people with low vision or other disabilities
- Assists in the development of community strategies to address barriers for people with low vision
View our Consumer Advisory Council Member Profiles.
Terms of reference.
The Terms of Reference of the Consumer Advisory Council are modeled on consumer groups operating successfully in similar agencies. They include the State Disability Advisory Council of the Department of Human Services and the Graduate Advisory Council of the Guide Dogs for the Blind Inc of California.
The Council meets a minimum of twice annually. Members are selected to ensure:
- Equal representation from each of our five client service groups, namely Guide Dog, Acquired Brain Injury, Children’s and Intensive Orientation and Mobility Services and Intensive Occupational Therapy
- Geographical diversity — with clients from regional Victoria as well as the metropolitan area
- Balance of men and women
- Representation from related fields
Expressions of interest.
From time to time, we seek expressions of interest in membership to the Consumer Advisory Council. For further information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form to correspond with us.